Extended towing mirrors are an essential addition to many 4WDs as they provide full vision for the length of the trailer or caravan being towed.
MSA 4X4 have designed, and are currently extensively testing, a brand-new range of towing mirrors that extend your field of vision past the trailer, for towing/reversing or launching your boat at boat ramps, whilst being unobtrusive for every day driving.
Shane Miles, the man behind MSA 4X4’s unique products said, “I think ‘towing’ mirrors is a restrictive description for an ‘all-round driving and towing mirror’ like ours. ‘Towing mirrors’ are great for towing, but annoying when not required. Whilst 4WDing on tracks when you’re not towing the van, or simply parking at shopping centres and in garages, regular towing mirrors can be a hindrance.”
We’re very proud of our eye-catching fleet of branded 4WDs that are all used for real-world testing of our product range and pride ourselves on the build of these company vehicles. We obviously put a lot of thought into the accessories installed onto each of them and found ourselves in a position where we needed to look at installing towing mirrors onto some of our fleet, but nothing currently available in the market suited us. Not one for compromising on the perfect solution, we then set about designing what we wanted in an all-round driving and towing mirror.
The key was to design a mirror that, when not towing, still looks proportionate to the size and styling of the vehicle. We needed to design a set of mirrors that just look right! Our new MSA 4X4 Driving Mirrors feature a unique design with a large single mirror that pivots on an extremely heavy-duty extension slide, that allows the mirror to be returned to its normal “non-towing” position, to avoid the extended mirrors permanently protruding off the sides of the vehicle.
- Four different mirror positions for any situation:
- Unextended non-towing horizontal position
- Unextended non-towing vertical position
- Extended horizontal position
- Extended vertical position
- When rotating the mirror into the horizontal position, the mirror’s actuator automatically adapts, allowing you to retain the standard adjustments (up, down, side to side) from your vehicle’s standard mirror adjustor.
- Simple to fit
- Large, single mirror to allow you to see your caravan/trailer sides, without being confusing for everyday driving.
- Unique pivot design allows the mirrors to maintain normal everyday position dimensions, whilst allowing for easy further extension.
- Can be adjusted to suit the viewing angle and preferences of any driver. Vertical and horizontal adjustment caters to drivers of differing height and seated positions.
- Designed to fold inwards or outwards when bumped in carparks or when in contact with trees and other obstacles around the vehicle
- Market Leading 5-year Warranty
- Tested & Approved ADR Compliant
- MSA 4X4’s Driving Mirrors mount onto your 4WD door in the same position as your existing mirrors.
- Injection moulded and die cast aluminium components deliver a high-quality towing mirror to withstand Australian conditions!
- Designed for towing caravans, camper trailers, trailers, boats and horse floats.
- Mirrors will be available to suit 13 Models initially, with more additions planned to suit popular tow vehicles.
As part of our testing, we had new mirror prototypes on our MSA Amarok featured in the current series of 4X4 Australia Magazine’s DVD series 3. The fact that most viewers haven’t realised that the Amarok’s mirrors aren’t standard mirrors, really proves that our design works!
The new range of MSA 4X4 Driving Mirrors are still currently undergoing extensive testing and should be available in the second half of 2019!
The concept of the mirror is the subject of pending patent applications in Australia and overseas, including Australian patent application No. 2017268622 and international patent application No. PCT/AU2017/051320, as well as a granted Chinese utility model No. 20172162844.
The shape of the mirror is also covered by Australian design registration No. 201614622 and pending Chinese design application No. 201830077185.5.
MSA 4X4 Driving Mirrors, built for work and play!